June 25, 2016 – September 9, 2018
Legacy reunited familiar works from the Richardson collection painted between 1880 and before 1942 by artists Frederic Remington (1861–1909) and Charles M. Russell (1864–1926) with rarely seen paintings by their contemporaries: Oscar E. Berninghaus, Charles Francis Browne, Edwin Willard Deming, William Gilbert Gaul, Herbert M. Herget, Frank Tenney Johnson, William Robinson Leigh, Peter Moran, and Charles Schreyvogel. The exhibition also featured three bronzes, two by Remington and one by Russell, and a Russell painting on loan from a private collection.
Sid Richardson’s legacy of patronage began in 1942 when the oilman and philanthropist began collecting art of the American West — its people, its history, and its landscape. In 1947, he established the Sid W. Richardson Foundation. In 1982, the Foundation’s board of directors established an art museum dedicated to displaying Richardson’s permanent collection and to providing educational art experiences for the public at no charge.